Wednesday, December 22, 2010

out of the abundance of the heart...

right about now im seriously thankful to be ALIVE. im on my lunch break and as i was driving home, i was in an accident. ...i mean, i guess that's what you would call it. the roads are slick. and the past 2 mornings before i went to work i literally said ALOUD to myself "the roads are slick macy, take your time." because i know i have a tendency to drive fast...and yes, sometimes i talk to myself. :p anyway, i just wanted to come home and take care of some stuff before i went back to work. it's mostly MISTY today, the roads don't LOOK slick, but they are. and i could feel it as i was driving and turning. i wasn't going very fast either but i could feel the traction so i pressed on my brakes. which turned out to be a bad idea. at that point, i lost all control of my car. it was such a scary feeling. my car spun around 4x, and it's weird but as i sat in horror i was actually COUNTING. [[i am so weird.]] and when the car finally stopped spinning, i realized i had spun into oncoming traffic and hit the guardrail. had it not been for the guardrail, the thing that would have stopped the spinning would have been the ditch below.  in actuality, i wasn't even going that fast (38 mph) but when i started spinning, it seemed like i started going faster. i feel like it's only by God's grace that i'm even alive to write this blog right now.  ...4x...oncoming traffic...slick roads...ditch...it's also odd that as i was sitting in my car, scared and helpless, i was crying out for help while simultaneously remembering to "turn the steering wheel in the direction of the skid." who would have ever thought that Fikes Driving School would actually come to memory at a time like that? like, im really thankful my parents made me go there. after i had stopped i felt like an idiot, i was just so shocked and dumbfounded i didn't know what to do. my car was in drive but it wasn't moving (keep in mind that im in the middle of oncoming traffic) so i turned on my hazard lights. i put my car in park. then back in drive...nothing. i restarted it and then it finally moved. and i slowly crept into traffic to reattempt to make my way home. what im most thankful for is that im alive really, but secondly, that my parents instilled such values within me. and by that i mean that for as long as i can remember, my dad has always told me "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." and yes, it's scripture. his favorite example is "when you wake up in the middle of the night and you need to use the restroom but you don't wanna turn on the light...then you stub your toe on the edge of the bed and you say _____! ...well, whatever it is that you say...THAT'S what's in your heart in abundance. if you say 'Jesus!" that's what's in your heart. if you say 'crap!' or some other variant...well, that's what's in your heart in abundance." and so, as i was spinning i was crying out for help, but it wasn't until i stopped that i realized who/what i was calling for. i was just asking for God to make it alright, for God to keep me safe, for God to make it stop. GOD. and He was with me. He definitely heard me. and yeah my car is a TINY bit messed up (and seriously, i mean a tiny bit...there's minimal damage compared to what it COULD HAVE been), but i am so thankful. and it's incredibly reassuring to know that after all the things ive done, and continue to do...how sometimes i don't always live my life the way i should or "walk the walk," I know who I am... and i know who to call on.

No comments:

Post a Comment